Visa and stay in France

There are different visa options. The most frequently used for studies are:
Visa exemption Students from the EU or EEA as well as residents from Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra don’t need to apply for a visa for coming staying in France no matter how long they will stay.
Short stay visa for studies For a stay up to 3 months. This is a Schengen regulation with no automatic application. Some countries have exceptions (list of those countries at
Long stay visa (VLS-TS) Valid for one year maximum (could be less depending on the duration of stay). It will be used as a resident’s permit after validation in France (fees apply). More details at:, «Studying in France», «Studying» There are no exemption for long stay visa application. For students who need a visa, please register via CampusFrance.


There are 3 different insurances which are mandatory for a stay in France.
Health insurance European health insurance card
or Registration to the « French health insurance », compulsory registration online upon arrival in France (free of charge).
Accommodation insurance Insurance compulsory for moving into your accommodation : the International Relations office helps you to subscribe one thanks to the different partnerships we have.
Civil liability It covers any damages made to a third person. There are different kinds. Only the ones that cover « private life » are valid in university and company environments.

Health insurance

The French National Health insurance (“Sécurité Sociale”) is compulsory in France. This is a coverage, which aims to support a part of the people’s medical expenses. To be refunded at most, students can, if they want, get a complementary medical care insurance but this is NOT COMPULSORY. WARNING : It is the sole responsibility of the students to verify that they have all necessary insurances for the whole duration of their studies at the UTT/of their stay in France.

More informations here

Home Insurance (and civil liability)

In France, home insurance is compulsory. You must have purchased it before coming in France (only with companies based on the French territory). You must provide your landlord/real estate company with a proof of insurance.

The International Center will provide help to the students to subscribe house insurance and will notify the home address and all the required details to the students up to 1 or 2 weeks before the official arrival week.

WARNING: students MUST wait for the International Center’s emails to subscribe anything!

Living expenses

The average living expenses are around 500€-600€ per month. The cost of living for students in France is one of the cheapest in the Western World. When students are making their budget forecast they should divide their expenses into 2 categories: their regular living expenses and the additional expenses associated with travelling.

Students should make sure to have an International Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard). Whichever type of accommodation they choose, they will have to pay a rent and a deposit when upon arrival.

More informations here

Good to know

Local tax
This tax is compulsory and MUST be paid by every tenant and every owner in France to the French Government.
For more information please consult the web site:

Housing benefits
Housing benefit (or “CAF” in French) is a financial support from the French Government. People can benefit from it when they pay for a rent in France and depending on their financial situation.

Note that the International Department is not in charge of the students’ application to CAF and do not provide help to the students to apply.

Move out (from your accommodation)
In France, the law compels people to respect the notice periods before moving out: One month's notice when students are at the end of their studies and about to return to their home country/begin their internship. Three months’notice in any other case (i.e. you stay in France but want to move out). The month notice has to be given to the real estate agency by e-mail.

Note that no departure date and no inventory of fixtures’ appointment will be changed, postponed, cancelled once you will have sent your months’ notice.

Before leaving France

More informations here