Practical information



Visa and stay in France

There are different visa options. The most used for studies are:

Visa exemption

Students from the EU or EEA as well as residents from Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra don’t need to apply for a visa for coming staying in France no matter how long they will stay.

Short stay visa for studies

For a stay up to 3 months. This is a Schengen regulation with no automatic application. Some countries have exceptions (list of those countries at

Long stay visa (VLS-TS)

Valid for one year maximum (could be less depending on the duration of stay). It will be used as a resident’s permit after validation in France (fees apply)

More details at:, «Studying in France», «Studying»

There are no exemption for long stay visa application. For students who need a visa, please register via CampusFrance.


Accommodation and welcome:

The UTT can book accommodation for students coming from partner universities. If you want the International Relations Office to book your accommodation and welcome you at your arrival (at the airports in Paris for the non-European students or at the train station in Troyes), please follow the procedure on the online portal for applications.


For free-mover students (coming from non-UTT partners), you can get some information from the CROUS in Troyes.


 Living expenses:

The average living expenses are around 500€ per month.
 More information about living expenses



There are 3 different insurances which are mandatory for a stay in France.

Accommodation insurance

Insurance compulsory for moving in your accommodation ; see accommodation form online

Health insurance

European health insurance card or registration the « Student health insurance » (200€). The registration and payment are made on the administrative registration day (early September or late February/early March)

Civil liability

It covers any damages made to a third person. There are different kinds. Only the ones that cover « private life » are valid in university and company environments.

Medical care

Important!  You will be required to provide this medical certificate on arrival to the UTT +  consent for medical treatment if you are under 18. You must prepare these documents in your home country and bring them with you in France.


secondary content


Université de technologie de Troyes
Pôle International
12 rue Marie Curie
CS 42060
10004 Troyes cedex

incoming @