1. Home
  2. International
  3. Study at UTT
  4. Practical information

Practical information

Visa and stay in France

There are different visa options. The most frequently used for studies are:
Visa exemption Students from the EU or EEA as well as residents from Switzerland, Monaco and Andorra don’t need to apply for a visa for coming staying in France no matter how long they will stay.
Short stay visa for studies For a stay up to 3 months. This is a Schengen regulation with no automatic application. Some countries have exceptions (list of those countries at http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr)
Long stay visa (VLS-TS)
Valid for one year maximum (could be less depending on the duration of stay). It will be used as a resident’s permit after validation with OFII in France (fees apply). The OFII procedure is to be done online (registration + buying of a excise stamp), within 3 months after the arrival in France. There are no exemption for long stay visa application. For students who need a visa, please register via CampusFrance.

Health insurance

The French National Health Insurance (“Sécurité Sociale” which is a medical coverage) is compulsory in France. Different rates and conditions apply which means that the French National Health Insurance only pays back a part of people’s medical expenses:
  • European students: must produce a European Health Insurance Card.
  • Students from Quebec: must produce the SE401Q106 form duly validated from their home country.
  • Non-European students (AND European students who do not have a European Health Insurance Card AND students from Quebec that do not have the SE401Q106 form) : You must register online to the French Health Secutity System  upon arrival in France (free of charge). You can do it on our online services platform ( Feel Francais) dedicated to the practical organisation in order to help you prepare for your arrival in Troyes. Access to this platform is only open to exchange students.
  • Students only coming for the "Intersemester short programs (August and Jan-Feb)": must have their own health insurance to cover their whilst in France (except students with the European Health Insurance card).
  • There is a Medical Center in UTT with a Nurse, a Doctor and a Psychologist working to keep people physically and mentally well. Students can also have access to medical cares outside the university (more details on the International students guide).
WARNING : It is the sole responsibility of the students to verify that they have all necessary insurances for the whole duration of their studies at the UTT/of their stay in France.

Discover on Youtube
More information here

Home Insurance and Civil Liability

In France, home insurance is compulsory. Home insurance is a coverage in case of any incident (fire, burglary, water damage...). Students must subscribe one before coming in France (only with companies based on the French territory) and must provide a proof of it to incoming@utt.fr when they have booked an accommodation with the International Center and to their landlord when they have found an accommodation by themselves (the payment occurs once in France).
  • By subscribing a home insurance, students will also get a Civil Liability which covers any damages made to a third person and which is required to be administratively registered to the UTT.
  • The online platform ( Feel Francais) also  helps students to subscribe home insurance thanks to different partnerships with companies in Troyes. The procedure and details to access to this platform are passed  to the students by e-mail at least few weeks before the official arrival dates.
  • Home insurance remains under students’ sole responsibility : they must notify any change of accommodation to their insurance company that may occurs during their stay and they must renew their subscription by themselves every year.
More information here

CVEC: Student and Campus life Contribution

Since the 2018-2019 academic year, students admitted to a French institution of higher education are subject to a new fee (payable every academic year, 91€ as of 2019/2020) known as the CVEC, which helps to finance on-campus programs that enhance the student experience:
  • Exchange students are not subject to CVEC
  • Only specific profiles of students are subject to CVEC: the concerned students will receive an e-mail from the International Center. Payment of CVEC must occur prior to registration and students must provide a copy of the released proof of payment to the International Center.
WARNING: students MUST wait for the International Center’s emails before doing anything!

Discover on Youtube

Living expenses

The average living expenses are around 500€-600€ per month. The cost of living for students in France is one of the cheapest in the Western World. When students are making their budget forecast they should divide their expenses into 2 categories: their regular living expenses and the additional expenses associated with travelling.

Students should make sure to have an International Credit Card (Visa or MasterCard). Whichever type of accommodation they choose, they will have to pay a rent and a deposit upon arrival.

More information here


Checklist before leaving home

Students are asked to consult our "International Students Guide" to bring the mandatory documents with them in France.

Legislation and regulations at UTT and in France

Students have to consult and to take note of the main legislation and regulations at UTT and in France before their arrival.

This document is not exhaustive, for more details, students are invited to consult the different websites or to consult us in case of any doubts or questions.

Good to know

Local tax
This tax is compulsory and MUST be paid by every tenant and every owner in France to the French Government.
For more information please consult the web site: www.impots.gouv.fr.

Housing benefits
Housing benefit (or “CAF” in French) is a financial support from the French Government. People can benefit from it when they pay for a rent in France and depending on their financial situation.

Note that the International Department is not in charge of the students’ application to CAF and do not provide help to the students to apply but an information note is available here and a tutorial in English is available here.

Move out (from your accommodation)
In France, the law compels people to respect the notice periods before moving out: One month's notice when students are at the end of their studies and about to return to their home country/begin their internship. Three months’notice in any other case (i.e. you stay in France but want to move out). The month notice has to be given to the real estate agency by e-mail.

Note that no departure date and no inventory of fixtures’ appointment will be changed, postponed, cancelled once students send their months’ notice.

Before leaving France
Students are asked to consult to our "International Students Guide" to know what is mandatory to do before leaving France.

More information here

Accessibility for students with disability

  1. Before admission
    Students with disability and their families can send an email to one of the main point of contact for students with disabilities at the University in order to learn more about the facilities and discuss potential adjustments for the student.
  2. First contact UTT
    The student with disability can send an email to schedule an appointment with UTT's health department: infirmerie@utt.fr . Alternatively the health department can contact the student first after reading through his medical record and the information completed during the admission process.
  3. Appointment at UTT
    Will take place at the heath center with the student's medical record.
    Following the appointment, there will be a meeting with a member of staff in order to decide together and put in place an action plan to facilitate access to University services.
  4. Appointment with a doctor of medecine at the University
    The appointment will be scheduled by UTT's health department for you.
  5. Action plan handover
    Following the consultation, the medical doctor will send a copy of the approved action plan to UTT's health center.
    The health center will in turn provide one copy to the student.
  6. Action plan handover to the teachers
    We will make arrangements for every student and remind his/her professors of the action plan in place during the semester.
    The professors will share the action plan with subsitute professors and contributors to the course.